As you being your journey into blogging, knowing how to choose a blog niche is up there in the top few items to do first. While there may be many niche topics you could consider for yourself, you really want to focus on something that is going to gain blog traffic and appeal to potential readers. For example, you may love the art of lint collection from a dryer, but not many people are going to come to your blog to read about it. So, we have some great tips for how to choose a blog niche that should help you keep focus while sticking with something you love.
How To Choose A Blog Niche That Gains Blog Traffic
Focus on your personal passions.
Blogging is an often tedious job for many. If you are trying to write and share about things you don’t really care about, it can cause dread and frustration for your, “work day”. As a beginner in the blogging world, my focus was mainly on couponing. It had helped my family to make ends meet, plus I knew the ins and outs and could easily share my experience and tips with others. That developed into a place to share things about my family, recipes and even some fun craft ideas. I was passionate about those things and it made going to work on my blog easy for me to manage. Plus, the things I was passionate about I knew others would enjoy. That’s a win-win.
A few things to consider when focusing on personal passions:
- Is this a singular topic that will run out of ideas soon?
- Is this something others have an interest in hearing about, doing or seeing?
- Is this something you have knowledge enough about to give honest thoughtful information and ideas to your readers about?
- Will this topic be broad enough that you can branch out into other areas later if desired?
- Is this topic short-lived or trending so would only bring traffic for short time periods?
Consider trending topics.
This is one easy way to find a hot blog niche that gains blog traffic right away. However, trending topics change drastically month to month and year to year so devoting an entire blog to just one topic can be tough when the trend is just arriving and you don’t know if it will last. There are a lot of things to consider when you choose a blog niche, and here are some ideas to consider.
- Is this a holiday or seasonal theme that will bring traffic only during select times of the year? If so, will you want to write year round or use this as a seasonal hobby?
- What is the potential for consistent income if only during select seasons?
- Does this trending topic play into other niche blog fields that you could begin and only have a sub-category for this item?
- Does it alienate you from potential sponsors or collaborations because it is too narrow a field?￼
Will this be a hobby or a source of income?
The age old question about blogs almost always centers around, “how do I make money blogging?”. When choosing a niche topic, consider if you really want to blog for hobby reasons or as a source of income. If you want to blog as a hobby, your niche doesn’t have to be considered as much or as deeply. You can simply choose an idea and run with it. If you are considering eventually making this something that earns an income, you want to make sure that you are going to know how to choose a blog niche that will give you the chance to work with affiliates, sponsors and build a significant amount of traffic to your site.
Grab pen and paper and write down a list of things you want to share and talk about. From that list build a blog niche that you can enjoy writing about and know will be successful as either a hobby or future business.